According to the definition of the liability of manufacturers for the products they produce, as given in the “law of Liability for Products”, the following information about wheels and castors applies. Deviation from this information, as written, releases the manufacturer of it’s liability.
1.0 Product Information and Determined Uses
Wheels and castors, according to this definition, are components that are generally replacable. They are installed on equipment, furniture, material handling systems or similar products to make these products mobile. This product information refers to castors and wheels, particulary to swivel castors (not steered castors) which are used an nonpowered equipment; at a speed not to exceed the normal walking speed and not being used continuously.
Castors and wheels, according to this product information, can be classified by application into the following categories:
- i.e. seating, furniture
- i.e. shopping carts, office equipment
- Health care, i.e. beds, carts etc.
- i.e. material handing of all load capacities
Castors and wheels can have a long and trouble free life if the following criteria are adhered to:
- correct and secure mounting at the designated location
- the mounting location must have adequate strength and material for a positive attachement
- the operation of the castor must not be affected by the attaching
- the swivel bearing king pin axis must be vertical at all times
- rigid castors must have their wheels axles perpendicular to the direction of travel. If only swivel castors are used they
must be of similar types
- if rigid castors are used in conjunction with swivel castors, all castors must be compatible and in accordance with the specifications recommended by the manufacturer
For use in temperatures below 5°C (40°F) and above 30°C (85°F), the performance of the castor can be impaired, particulary the load capacity, as stated, can be affected when used in temperatures below or above these stated limits. Special components must be specified. Castors are made of component parts. The manufacturer is only liable for the original components incorporated in the assembled castor. When selecting a castor, it is necessary to take into consideration the technical details in the published charts for a castor.
The word “misuse” is defined as:
- Unsuitable, unsealed floor conditions
- Excessive (high or low) temperatures
- Failure to use brakes properly
- Exposure to a caustic environment
- Excessive shock loading
- Foreign objects penetrating the wheel tread
- Excessive speed
- Changes made to components and to assembled castors without prior agreement and approval of the original manufacturer
3.0 Product Capability
Should the user not find the required product in the manufacturer’s catalogues, leaflets, descriptive literature, etc. then any new castor designed for a particular application has to be fully approved by the manufacturer. New designs must be subject to the relevant DIN-, ISO-, CEN-Standards as well as the standard set forth in the Quality Standard RAL-RG 607/10.
The maintenance of castors is usually:
- Regreasing the axle and swivel bearings and removing any debris from these areas.
- Retightening the axle and/or any adjustable fittings.
If cleaning agents are used, these agents must not contain corrosive or granular elements.
5.0 Product-lnformation and User Guide
It is necessary to insure that the Product Information and User Guide are made available as required and that the reseller insures that his customer is furnished with the appropriate catalogues, etc.; that the Original Equipment Manufacturer, on whose equipment the product is attached, insures the end usercolour differences cannot be guaranteed. Dimensions and weights are within the normal industry manufacturing standards. The indication of load capacities are always referring to certain conditions of use which are typical for this sort of product. All indications are subject to progressive has the Product Information and User Guide. To insure proper performance of the castors and wheels, the reseller must consider the Product Information (1.0 to 5.0). This product information can be supplied for distribution to the manufacturer of the equipment. The manufacturer of the equipment must refer to the product Information (1.0 to 5.0) and User Guide. Copies of this Product Information and User Guide may be ordered from the castor manufacturer for distribution to the end user.
General conditions of sale and delivery
The terms and conditions of Colson Rollen GmbH (Germany) are valid in general. On request we can send the detailed contents.
This catalogue has been carried out with attention and care. Possible mistakes and colour differences cannot be guaranteed. Dimensions and weights are within the normal industry manufacturing standards. The indication of load capacities are always referring to certain conditions of use which are typical for this sort of product. All indications are subject to progressive changes.